Tuesday 23 July 2013

Meet the Printmaker - Jill Spence

The latest in our 'Meet the Printmaker' artist interview series... we catch up with screen printer Jill Spence who tells us about her graphic designs...


Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work…
What sort of prints do you make?
Hello, my name is Jill and I’m a silk screen printer. I hand print in small quantities large and small scale prints, greetings cards and gift items such as cotton bags. My prints have a graphic, stylised feel.


Are you solely a printmaker or do you work in any other creative fields?
I’m a Graphic Designer by trade, and having recently been made redundant, I thought it an exciting opportunity to develop and follow my passion for screen printing.



What is your earliest recollection of making a print and what made you to want to do more?
At primary school where we had to cut out a paper stencil and put it on a screen to print with. I thought it was like magic when the picture emerged!


What inspires you and are there any themes or ideas that often run through your work?
I’m hugely inspired by the art deco period, and love shapes and patterns which are stylised, symmetrical as well as repeat patterns. A recent trip to AndalucĂ­a in Spain was also really inspirational - I loved the Moorish tile designs I saw there.



Could you give us an insight into where you work – your studio/workspace and
where you print?
I have a fantastic studio space in Hamilton House in Stokes Croft. There is an eclectic mix of artists; everyone from painters, illustrators, and milliners to puppeteers, so it’s a very creatively indulgent place to work.


The work of which other printmaker/s do you admire?
I really like the work of Sian Elin, an interior surface designer. She has also seemed to be influenced by Moorish design, and I love her colours and patterns.

Printmaking is made up of lots of different processes, which aspect do you enjoy the most?
I enjoy the first pass of my design, as you never quite know how the print is going to look, always looks a little different hand printed than it does on a computer screen.


Do you have a favourite tool or something you find invaluable when printing?
Not yet, I’m just starting out.

How would you like to develop your printmaking skills in the future?
I’m relatively new to screen printing, and see my style evolving at the same time as developing my printmaking skills. I’d like to use different textures and colour overlays to achieve a variety of effects. I want to experiment and see what I can achieve and how far I can push my printmaking skills.


Monochrome or multi-coloured?
Multi-coloured at the moment, although I plan to develop a range on monochrome Christmas cards.

Thanks Jill, you say you are just starting out... we can't wait to watch how your work develops!

Jill Spence is one of the many talented printmakers contributing to Volume 1 of The Print Shop, July 24th - August 25th - come along and see for yourself!

The Print Shop
Unit 6
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
BS1 3BU

Open Daily
Mon - Sat 10am - 6pm
Sun 11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment