Sunday 21 July 2013

Meet the Printmaker - Jane Ormes


We were delighted to catch up with Spike-based printmaker Jane Ormes. She lets us in on her love of printing and gives away a few little secrets along the way...

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work…
What sort of prints do you make?
My name is Jane Ormes and I’m a silk screen printmaker. My work is usually shot through with bright colour and animals in unlikely scenarios. I’m primarily a printmaker working two dimensionally but I do love to dabble with 3D objects every now and again. I’ve made decorative wooden birdhouses from printed wood before now. And cardboard printed dachshunds. And families of wooden printed rabbits that slot together!


Cat Disenchanted with the Wild west

What is your earliest recollection of making a print and what made you to want
to do more?
I actually did my degree in Printed Surface Decoration nearly 30 years ago but, in those days, technicians did a lot of the actual printing for you so I’m not sure my love of screenprinting started there. About 7 years ago I was sharing a studio with a friend who re-introduced me to printmaking at Spike Print Studio and I’ve never looked back! The thrill of lifting up the print frame to see what’s deposited on the paper is still exciting.

What inspires you and are there any themes or ideas that often run through your work?
I’m inspired by bold, graphic images mixed with naive shapes and retro patterns. I’m a bit of a sucker for the birds and the beasts so you’ll find cats, dogs, rabbits scattered here and there. I have a 20 year old black cat called Hilary who pops up a lot. A turn of phrase or amusing comment will often kickstart an idea for a print. I love a sense of the absurd!


Two go mad in the South Hamms

Could you give us an insight into where you work – your studio/workspace and
where you print?
I have a room at home that I create my stencils in, ready for the printing process. I’ve really outgrown it and I’m currently on the look out for a bigger and better space and am considering building a studio in our garden. Once I’ve got round my husband. I print at the mighty Spike Print Studio. It is a fabulous space. Meeting other printmakers and exchanging knowledge is an ongoing fantastic experience.



The work of which other printmaker/s do you admire?
There are so many printmakers I love; many of them friends that also print at Spike. David Wiedman’s work is glorious, Chitra Merchant’s use of colour is amazing, Anna Marrow’s fresh beautiful composition..... Sister Corita’s graphic printed collages...



Printmaking is made up of lots of different processes, which aspect do you enjoy

the most?
Although the actual physical process of printing is ultimately the mechanical one i.e the creative process is the designing of the print and making the stencils for each colour, mixing up your ink and first pull of a new print is always exciting. Seeing smooth flat colour deposited onto crisp white paper. Printing the last colour is euphoric ! Especially as I sometimes have 12 colours !


Bear that can stare

Can you share a little printing trick or secret with us?
My top tip for screen printing would be don’t brandish a pair of very sharp scissors near a brand new restretched screen. Result-holes !!!!!!

How would you like to develop your printmaking skills in the future?
I’d like to try other methods of printing that might be a bit more immediate-paper stencils, monoprinting etc.

Which printed publication do you most look forward to thumbing through?
I’m a real lover of interiors magazine. My house is full of them. My initial set of screenprints were all to furnish our new house that we had basically painted white. I love seeing how an image on a wall can affect a room. I love Elle Decoration and Living Etc.

Monochrome or multi-coloured?
Multi coloured every time !!!!!



That's great Jane, thanks very much for the insight into your screen printing world. And who wouldn't want one of Jane's lovely prints on their wall?

Jane's work is featured in Volume 1 of The Print Shop which runs July 24th - August 25th - why not come along and check it out, along with work from many other talented printmakers...

The Print Shop
Unit 6
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
BS1 3BU

Open Daily
Mon - Sat 10am - 6pm
Sun 11am - 5pm


No comments:

Post a Comment