Monday 29 July 2013

Meet the Printmaker - Carol Jackman


We were delighted to catch up with Carol Jackman, an established figure in Bristol's print community - read on to find out more about Carol's influences and how her delicate work is created...

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work…
What sort of prints do you make?
I'm Carol Jackman. I'm a Trustee and studio holder at Spike Island; a member of Spike Print Studio; and a member of The University of the Arts London. I'm a painter and screen-printer and my work is mainly concerned with maps and mapping.

Japa I / screenprint

Japa II / screenprint

Are you solely a printmaker or do you work in any other creative fields?
In addition to printmaking I also paint and draw.

'Prayer Sticks' Cassein and silver leaf on MDF

What is your earliest recollection of making a print and what made you to want
to do more?
I came late to art and took to printmaking as a mature student at Exeter in 1990-91. My transfer to UWE Bristol introduced me to water-based screenprinting which encouraged me to do a Masters in Printmaking at Camberwell.

What inspires you and are there any themes or ideas that often run through your work?
My inspiration comes from all the different places where I have lived; mainly in the Far East and India. This is reflected in my work.

'Annapurna Sanctuary' in the Himalayas / Screenprint

Could you give us an insight into where you work – your studio/workspace and
where you print?
I work in my studio in Spike Island and use the Spike Print Studios for printmaking.


My studio in Spike Island

The work of which other printmaker/s do you admire?
Some of the artists whose work I really love are: Antoni Tapies, Helen Frankenthaler, Howard Hodgkin, William Tillyer, Callum Innes, and Kathy Prendergast.

Printmaking is made up of lots of different processes, which aspect do you enjoy the most?
The physicality of screenprinting and experimenting with colour.

Do you have a favourite tool or something you find invaluable when printing?
I use very fine Rotring pens for making my positives. I also have a collection of Chinese paint brushes that hang on my studio wall for inspiration.



My inspiration!

Can you share a little printing trick or secret with us?
Not really, except to make sure you follow a clean and tidy screenprinter on the bed!


How would you like to develop your printmaking skills in the future?
I favour the hand-drawn element of making my positives, but a little knowledge of Photoshop could be useful to add in occasionally.

Which printed publication do you most look forward to thumbing through?
Anything relevant to my work.


Monochrome or multi-coloured?
Paired down discreteness and the joy of colour. 

Well, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us Carol, and I must admit to being a little envious of your studio!

Carol is one of our specially selected printmakers currently showing work in Volume 1 of The Print Shop, which runs until the 25th August. If you're local to Bristol, do make sure you come and see us !


The Print Shop
Unit 6
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
BS1 3BU

Open Daily
Mon - Sat 10am - 6pm
Sun 11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment