Sunday 27 October 2013

Meet the printmaker: Katharina Nyilas


Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work? What sort of prints do you make?

I have been living and working as an illustrator in Bristol for one year since graduating from University of Westminster, with an honours degree in Illustration.

Nature, wildlife and our environment inspires most of my work, which I believe is of vital importance.  My illustrative work is intricate detailed and delicate, which is why I love to explore with screen printing, which by the nature of the process creates much stronger bolder shapes and lines, allowing my work to make a different impact.



Are you solely a printmaker, or do you work in any other creative fields?

I also work in the field of illustration, and as a creative workshop coordinator.

What is your earliest recollection of making a print and what made you to want to do more?

My earliest recollection of printmaking was at the age of 16 at Somerset College of Art and Technology.  The printmaking tutor, Chris Tucker, chose me from a group of students studying fine art to produce an etching.  It was a long process, as most printmaking processes are, and took a lot of time, attention to detail and methodical precision.  The process suited my work as, with etching, very fine lines and details can be produced.  I enjoyed being absorbed by the process and the excitement of seeing the outcome of the first print.  I still enjoy this aspect of the print-making process including the opportunity to experiment.


What inspires you? Are there any themes or ideas that often run through your work? 

The influence and control people have over our environment intrigues me and I like to research different aspects of this, whether it happens to be regarding fishing policies, our urban wildlife, pollution or poaching.

I am also interested in re-using and recycling materials, and have been experimenting with utilising them in my printmaking.  I have used found wood, fabrics and ripped sheets of billboard, which I have found hanging billowing in the wind and littering the ground.



Could you give us an insight into where you work (your studio/workspace and where you print)? 

Over the last year I have been creating illustrations from my desk at home. Since joining the Drawn in Bristol illustration collective over the summer, I have been hot-desking and screen-printing in the studio at Hamilton House.  I am now looking forward to joining the Drawn in Bristol studio at the beginning of November.




Printmaking is made up of lots of different processes. Which aspect of printmaking do you enjoy the most?

I mostly enjoy planning and drawing the print, experimenting with materials and the excitement of seeing the outcome!


Do you have a favourite tool or something you find invaluable when printing?


Being organised and clear from the start with the result you are trying to achieve is very important.  Creating a good print involves a lot of planning and work before the print can actually be made.  For example, pulling a screen-print is the fastest part of production after the methodical process of preparing.


How would you like to develop your printmaking skills in the future?

At the moment I am experimenting with screen-printing, and using different found materials to work with.  I would like to carry on experimenting with screen-printing for the time being, as it is such as versatile technique. Almost anything can be printed onto, which suits me, as I enjoy making my own illustrated products.  In the future, I may take up a printmaking course and learn other processes.  The variety and versatility of the other printmakers' work at The Print Shop has definitely intrigued me and inspired me to learn more!


Which printed publication do you most look forward to thumbing through?

Wrap magazine is one publication I love to look at, for the variety of colourful work.  I like the fact that it gives artists and printmakers a slightly different platform to showcase their work, in contrast to other illustrated publications.  The artwork is showcased on its own in a large format.  The best thing about it is that it also doubles up as wrapping paper.  Although, I always think the work is too beautiful to use as wrapping paper and could be used to decorate your walls instead!

And finally, monochrome or multi-coloured?

Although some of my prints are in monochrome, most of my prints utilise colour.  Mostly I tend to use monochrome alongside colour.

Thank you for giving us some insight into the environmental inspirations behind your beautiful work, Katharina!

Katharina's work will be appearing in The Print Shop for the rest of Volume 3, ending on 3 November.  Come and experience Kati's work for yourself at our shop in Quakers Friars!


The Print Shop
Unit 6
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
BS1 3BU
Open Daily
Mon - Sat 10am - 6pm
Sun 11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment