Monday 28 October 2013

Meet the printmaker: Ann Gover

 
 
 

Please can you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your work…
What sort of prints do you make?


My name is Ann Gover, and I’m an artist working in various media – currently enamel and etching, as well as printmaking. I think of myself as a traditional painter with strong links to the past.

 
 
                                                                                        
Reverie
 
 

Are you solely a printmaker or do you work in any other creative fields?
I have taught watercolour and worked in pastel for many years.
 
 
What is your earliest recollection of making a print and what made you to want to do more?
 
I come from an artistic family – my American grandfather was the architect for Bush House in the Strand in London, my grandmother was a sculptor, my mother painted and wrote, and my father was a writer. They gave me art books when I was quite young and encouraged me to paint; when I first saw etchings by Goya, Rembrandt and Kathe Kollwitz I wanted to experiment with printmaking.

 
Perseus carrying the head of the Gorgon Medusa.
 
 
 

What inspires you and are there any themes or ideas that often run through your work? 

I travel frequently and read a great deal. I derive inspiration from the countries I visit, particularly Africa, and from writers such as W. G. Sebald and Joseph Conrad as well as the Greek myths.

Could you give us an insight into where you work – your studio/workspace and where you print?
My studio is a room and kitchenette with lots of light on a first floor. I have my kiln there (instead of an oven!) for enamelling, but I don’t have a printing press, so I do my printing at Spike Island.
 
 
 
My Studio
 
 

The work of which other printmaker/s do you admire?

The Brazilian artist Ana Maria Pacheco is a great inspiration. Also Odilon Redon, Paula Rego and Kathe Kollwitz.
 
Printmaking is made up of lots of different processes, which aspect do you enjoy the most?
I love the spontaneity of monoprinting (monoprints are also known as monotypes). In a more contemplative mood I like planning drypoints.

 
Pandora
 
 
 

Do you have a favourite tool or something you find invaluable when printing?

I like working a paintbrush into the ink when I’m doing a monoprint, as this frees up the design, and is a link with my painting.

 
Can you share a little printing trick or secret with us ?

To get very dark areas in my drypoints, instead of crosshatching I use different grades of sandpaper.


How would you like to develop your printmaking skills in the future?
I would like to do larger work and experiment more with aquatint.


                                                                                                                                                      African Night

 
 
 
 
Thank you Ann for sharing your artistic world, processes and inspirations.

Ann Gover will be at The Print Shop for the rest of Volume 3. 


The Print Shop
Unit 6
Quakers Friars
Cabot Circus
Bristol
BS1 3BU

Open Daily
Mon - Sat 10am - 6pm
Sun 11am - 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment